09 December 2010

First of the Season: Tartan Flannel Pants

Well, not really.I trotted these trews out a couple weeks ago, but it was a complete mis-fire, not fit for public consumption. Today, they were right.
A perfect example of old playing well with new: Brooks Brothers "Golden Fleece" blazer, $6.99; white oxford by J.Crew, $0.99; yellow cotton crew neck sweater by Polo, $4.99; Tartan flannels by Murray's Toggery Shop, $9.99.
My old favorite blazer was getting just a pinch tight, I admit it. Good thing I happened on this Brooks number, an upgrade. I'm a sucker for full patch pockets. A note on the shirt: it's something J. Crew calls the "vintage oxford". It's a master piece of disproportion. The collar points are too short, the collar itself too big, the sleeves are too long, and too narrow, the placket is too narrow, the pocket is too small, the yoke is too big. Avoid this shirt at all costs...unless you find one for a buck, in which case it works fine under a crew neck sweater when all you really need is a collar peeking out at the top.

Nay socks and brown tassels seal the deal. I know, I wear these shoes a lot, but they're my current favorites.

The trick to wearing plaid pants is to behave as though it is completely normal to be dressed this way, which of course it isn't. Don't be shy, you'll be surprised at the amount of honest compliments you get if you just play it cool, 90% of them from females, which ain't a bad thing.

p.s. loads of hot goods just posted in the shop. I know it's Christmas time and you ain't supposed to be buying stuff for yourself right now, but check it out. Maybe you could start dropping hints.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very well done.

Adam said...

Nice look. I, for one, gave up hope for rocking tassel loafers. Also, I think The Trad has the same adage somewhere: If you can't forget you're wearing it, you probably shouldn't be wearing it.

Britt Sudduth said...

Nicely done G. I dig the patch pockets on the blazer.

Thad said...

I agree about the Tartan! You have to wear it with conviction that you are correct and everyone else is wrong.

I need some pants like that to wear when I give whisky tastings!

Merry Christmas!

Some Assembly Required said...

On the contrary, I always buy something for myself while shopping for family and friends. Because frankly, I deserve it.

Anonymous said...

I honestly can't wait for the day I find a crisp pair of tartan trousers while I'm out thrifting. Such a great find.

Gregorius Mercator said...

I admire any man who can pull off those trousers. I'm still not quite bold enough, myself. Maybe next year.

Seeing them with a blazer and turtleneck makes me think "Bobby come on over to dinner, we'll be so glad to see you..."

those tricks said...

Bold, Guiseppe.
But my vote is no.
however, I support rockin' it at every opportunity, so ya know - work it!

Anonymous said...

Those are not trews and trews is not synonymous with pants or trousers.

Giuseppe said...

Chalk it up to poetic license.

Anonymous said...

Loving the bold tartan Giuseppe - it's so refreshing to see a guy with a "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!" when it comes to his wardrobe.

Continue to give them hell!

I'm also loving the store - I'm planning on placing an order later this week :D

Jacob said...

I love this. I wish I could find pants like that on my thrift store adventures.

Jauregui said...

Love the pants. I am still on the hunt for a pair of decently priced tartan flannel pants.


Be blessed.