30 January 2012

Sometimes You Feel Like A (...), Sometimes You (...)

Sometimes, you get dressed like you're going to play tennis with Rene Lacoste in 1925:
Brooks Brothers club collar shirt, made in USA of Italian fabric, $5.49
Vintage wool tennis sweater from Kennedy's of Boston, $6.99
Emblematic club tie, $0.99
Vintage jacket, half of a suit by the Andover Shop, half of $5.99 (price for the whole suit)

And sometimes, you slouch down in your favorite soft chair at 9:30 in the morning for a cup of coffee and some Captain Beefheart on vinyl while a nearly three year old girl you know gets into the weird music in a way and to a depth that only children can...

photo: Internet
Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band, "Clear Spot", recently purchased on vinyl at a flea market, $8.00
Not his weirdest work, but by no means "normal".


I, for one, see no reason why the enjoyment of two such divergent  things need be mutually exclusive.

In the world of men's blogs, one constantly runs across dogmatic close mindedness from people concerned more with an arbitrary set of antiquated rules involving how a man should dress than they are with wearing clothes well simply because they enjoy it. It's like a microcosm of life. Voluntary self pigeon-holing leads only to bitterness and resentment, and causes one to waste a lot of time needling other people who couldn't care less about what are really inconsequential minutiae. By embracing all aspects of the person you are, even the ones that don't necessarily "match" with one another, you find a balance and real individuality that will never come with rote adherence to any given dogma, no matter which one.

Just sayin.


photo: Internet

p.s. new stuff in the Shop. Perfect get-ups for listening to some psychedelic freak jams...at least I think they are.

15 comments:

TheOldRoad said...

Ah Captain Beefheart! Excellent excellent.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes you dress like your just left AJ Izod's tailoring shop on the way to play tennis with Renee Lacoste!

Anonymous said...

so, what you're saying is that sometimes you dress like ella guru and sometimes like big joan.

Anonymous said...

So, you're saying that if I ONLY talk about my $12,000 socks and $22,000 suits, and how much I know about classic clothes, I don't have style?!!

Roger v.d. Velde said...

It's quite evidently a cricket jumper.

Jho78 said...

Well said. The concept of individuality seems to be lost on most people these days. And I do love me some Beefheart. Lately my 3-year-old's jam has been Hocus Pocus by Focus. It's my jam too, come to think of it.

Giuseppe said...

Roger,

Careful not to be too dogmatic. Looks like the dudes in the old photo are holding tennis racuets to me.

Anonymous said...

It looks like a costume rather than clothes.

Corey said...

@Giuseppe
I like the sweater alot! It seems like it has become very difficult to find Tennis sweaters these days without spending well over $100. I have not come across any in the thrift stores that I frequent but have seen quite a few on e-bay. But I'm still looking...

@Anonymous
How about ME selling YOU some $16,000 shoes to go with those $12,000 socks and $22,000 suits?

Felix said...

I love that tennis sweater! Oh if I only had the luck you have finding such treasures! Amazing find sir!

Corey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Northmoon said...

Voluntary self pigeon-holing (love the phrase!) might just be to simplify clothing choices and have nothing to do with resenting someone else's choices. the conceit that you know the only correct way to dress is a different matter.

Anyway, good for you for enjoying as much diversity in this life as you want.

Roger v.d. Velde said...

I'm not being dogmatic, just favouring one side as a cricket lover. I have no hard line on what people prefer to call them.

What I will say though is that as tennis is the later English game, I think they were adopted from cricket.

oldmoney said...

Great outfit! Can't understand why certain people think you have to have a pedigree to wear certain kinds of clothes.

Ivan said...

New reader here. How on earth did you get a Brooks bro. shirt for 5.49?