23 April 2014

GTH, Africa Style

Anyone who reads this blog can tell you that it's style and longevity rather than fast fashion and designers that drive my writing. However, sometimes a designer comes down the line with an original enough collection rendered so well I can't help but admire it. Such is the case the latest collection from Ikire Jones, found this morning via Facebook share from a friend. How can I deny something that is described as "West African aesthetics meets Italian tailoring and English textiles"? The answer is that I simply can't, not when it looks this good.  Almost makes your craziest patch madras look sombre by comparison.
Seriously. Looks like our Mr. Jones just showed us that our good old "Go To Hell" clothes can pack up and go to Hell.


3 comments:

Fading Fast said...

Like GTH, this works in moderation, but yes, there is something oddly compelling and - as someone who is not African - seemingly uniquely and awesomely African.

Unknown said...

A few weeks ago, I attended an evening event at the conference banquet of a volunteer organization. So, though evening dress was preferred and informal required, the level of dress - while overall good - was a mixed bag.

I wore a vintage double-breasted brocaded silk Asian smoking jacket over black tuxedo trousers, a hidden-button shirt, and a black bow tie.

I've never received more random compliments on my appearance and dress. It was awesome.

'GTH-ness' is in the eye of the beholder...

WDM said...

God, I wish I could pull off something like this. Not quite yet. Though there is a cool peak-lapel tweedy thing in their winter collection that I could rock effectively...