07 March 2009

Tweed, Repp Ties and the Italian Man

Today I came across this silly little novelty book in the house:

I remember stealing this book from my Dad when I was in high school. It's very silly. Among myriad nuggets of wisdom on the intricacies of living "La Dolce Vita", including how to inhale cheese fumes, how to practice pinching a young ladies posterior, and a chapter on hand gestures labelled "Isometric Communication" (har, har...) we find this comparison photograph:Apparently, striped ties, tweed and button-downs are antithetical to the very concept of being Italian. Damn! Now I've got an identity crisis on my hands!


p.s. extra credit if you can name these two fellows.


p.p.s. Tin Tin, if you're reading this, there may be hope for you yet.


Okay, one more, because it's just too funny:

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Easy: William F. Buckley Jr. and Marcello Mastroianni.

ADG said...

Mastroianni and Buckley....

How did the Princess sleep last night?

SCO said...

+1

Unknown said...

It's a shame that it's too late to remake 8 1/2 w/ William F. Buckley.

- Andrew

lisagh said...

Dude on the left must be William F. Buckley. Sorry, don't know the other one. Do I get half points?

Giuseppe said...

A new version of 8 1/2 with Buckley driving around Harvard Square in a jaguar with duct tape over the rips in the upholstery would be pretty funny. Who would play the leading lady? Bunny Tomerlin?

frankthetank said...

I think Clare Boothe Luce would be my pick. The photograph of the two of them in Miles Gone By always brings a smile to my face. The lady in a fur and the gent in a tux, what more could you ask for?

heavy tweed jacket said...

Giuseppe, This is a very funny post. That picture of WFB is hilarious. Nice one.

heidi said...

You've inspired me to photograph my inherited copy of "How to be A Jewish Mother."
Hope all is well with the baby girl,
-h

Anonymous said...

I definitely knew it was Buckley. I really hate his politics but damn I would love to be like him.

Anonymous said...

These are great! I just love the expressions - molto Italiano...

If you're worried about the striped ties, perhaps you should look into stripey shirts instead!

FIXED BAYONET METAL SOLDIERS said...

I live in Italy=50% of it sucks big time. Live there and you'd be begging for the States I think