21 October 2009

Influenza

I believe I may have spent the last few days stricken with a case of it. Coughing, sneezing, aching, and a head that weighs about 200 pounds and burns like hell-fire. A fella sure could a long days rest, but two certain small children I know felt otherwise.

No matter, nothing a little hot whiskey with lemon and honey before bedtime can't take care of.

Hot Toddy:

Irish whiskey (dark rum works pretty good too)

2 lemon wedges

honey

hot water

Mix all ingredients with a spoon, drink, crawl into bed, fall dead asleep. Such a remedy may seem quaint and old fashioned, but at the end of a torturous flu-ridden day spent chasing children and jacking up on zinc and vitamin C, it does have it's merits.

I was going to head straight to bed, but I needed something to do while I drank the toddy. Back to superficial drivel when I'm on my game again.

13 comments:

ScottyAlexander said...

Hey G, get well soon! I think I'm off to make one of those right now too.

Young Fogey said...

Get well soon, mio amico!

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, that special time of year that is flu season. I was feeling a bit under yesterday and downed some whiskey concoctions myself, it's no wonder the stuff used to be considered medicine and given by doctors. I like the coffee mug btw.

J said...

Try studding the lemon wedges with some cloves, it adds a little extra something to the mix. Oh and preheating the cup helps stop it cooling down so fast when you add the whiskey

Justin.

C said...

Ouch. Get better soon.

I'm just getting over something of the like myself.

Old School said...

Try this "pasta" cure:



http://objectdart.wordpress.com/2008/05/12/how-to-cure-the-flu-pasta/

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't drink whiskey when I've got the flu. It's like drinking Nyquil; it may deal with the symptoms but it doesn't do anything to buck you up in a beneficial way. If you want to try something that's actually beneficial in a healthy way, try tea. It deals with those toxic antioxidants. Also, drink scads of H2O. Anyway, get well soon.

JKeohane said...

The mug makes it for sure.

Anonymous said...

Chicken Soup (Jewish Penicillin)

Young Fogey said...

Actually, the best cold remedy I've ever used is echinacea, especially echinacea with goldenseal. Available in health food stores, they are herbs that boost the immune system, and can cut short the length of a cold, but are ineffective in preventing a cold. You could always try echinacea for the flu, but I'd definitely go the garlic route for any viral infection: it's known to have antiviral (as well as antibacterial and even antifungal) properties.

Hope you're better soon!

Neal said...

Get well soon! I also want to second the recommendation of a good strong cup of hot tea with copious amounts of honey. Soothes the throat every time. I actually first read of this at the age of nine in the "Winnie-the-Pooh Get Well Book".

heavy tweed jacket said...

Sounds like the sort of Hot Toddy Mother would make for us when we were kids with colds (to help us sleep). I think she became suspicious when we feigned a sore throat to get one.

Foxfier said...

Ah... I remember my dad giving that to me, when I was sick and mom was away.

I don't care what anyone says, it worked, without the after-effects of cough syrup, and I got a good night's sleep.