14 October 2009

The Triple Play (or, How to Offend a Scotsman)

I've always been a fan of plaid. I'm particularly fond of vibrant traditional Scottish tartans. Lately this minor obsession has manifested itself in a borderline dangerous proclivity for all manner of outlandish trousers. (see here, here, here, and even here). Most recently, there have been these, a fine pair in heavy yet butter-soft wool:
originally hailing from the most venerable Murray's Toggery Shop of Nantucket Island. They may be most famous for the invention of Nantucket Reds, but apparently, Murray's also did one hell of a job with the cold weather woolens. $7.49, in the Halloween costume department at the local thrift shop. ( I'm telling you, man, the Halloween department is the absolute Jam when it comes to this stuff.)
Needless to say, I've been absolutely dying to wear them, and today, Ole Ma Nature saw fit to grace us with the 45 degree temperature in which to do so. A perfect match to a Barbour coat and cardigan sweater. I only need the hounds and the estate...

Never one to be shy of a bit of sartorial controversy, I decided to sneak not one but two other tartans into this ensemble. Because, you know, these pants just aren't outlandish enough on their own, right.
Note the semi-secret Dress Gordon lining of the coat...subversive...

topped off with a Pendleton driving cap in Black Watch. ( Purchased at the going out of business sale of a Pendleton outlet, $7.99 marked down from it's original $59.99)

And to end it all, a pair of brown suede shoes. Suede shoes and a Barbour? Inexcusable! To think, a wet weather jacket with shoes that get killed by water. But I'll be damned if any other shoes in my closet would have worked half as well. Truth is truth.


If you're Scottish, or of Scottish descent, and you're reading this, feel free to throw your whisky bottle in outrage at the screen. You have every right to be offended by the way some damn Italian American has co-opted your heritage in the name of fashion and vanity. The same goes for any Brits whose military or school colors I probably own on a neck tie. Or you can be flattered. If your stuff wasn't so damn sharp, we wouldn't bother to steal it, would we? Your choice.

p.s. Young Fogey, don't you dare turn the pants of your Black Watch Pendleton suit into a vest. Such a thing is way too rare, and impressive. Either wear it together with pride and confidence, or trade it to me for something more your speed. I beg you...

p.p.s. First Toad and now Maxminimus? What the hell am I supposed to read in the wee hours when I ought to be a sleep anyway?...




23 comments:

L.A.S said...

Your Black Watch hat is boss...and what's this post script involving a Black Watch suit...I want to be buried in one of those bad boys...

ScottyAlexander said...

Another great success with each piece! Thanks for the inspiration!

Cyclo2000 said...

Well, I'm Scottish and I'm not in the least offended. Tartan is a bit a of a made up thing anyway - even the oldest recognised patterns date only to the late 1700s or there abouts. Nowadays on Edinburgh's Royal Mile you can buy a scarf in your clan tartan even if your name is Cohen or Al- Migrahy.
That said, I stick to my own clan tartan wherever possible, but then the Ancient Gunn is a particularly nice plaid.
http://www.lochcarron.com/reiver/G/gun_a.jpg

James said...

Great look! If going down to your hounds wouldn't your LL Beans (shoe or boot) work with this.

C said...

Looks great G. I'm Irish so I say screw 'em (just kidding).

And I agree about that b/w suit. I'd wear it as a full suit any day. If it's too big for you send it to me.

Anonymous said...

You should stomp down a crowded street yelling "If it ain't Scottish, it's crap(yelling in a heavy Scottish brogue of course)!"

kckclassic said...

preppy pauper is right on!! Being of Scottish descent this in no way offends me. The hat is killer, I'm jealous to say the least.

james at 10engines said...

another victory for halloween wardrobe shopping sneaking into the regular roatation. amen. i like bigger checks in the pants mysel' but def' inspired now. M may have to shield her eyes this w/e when the taratan trews come out... killer post.

C said...

Oh, and that is awful news about ADG's blog. Just found out this morning. Really too bad, he was one of the best.

Young Fogey said...

Well, if you put it that way....

For those not following comments: I recently thrifted a made-in-America Pendleton Black Watch suit, and since I would never, ever wear it as a suit, am thinking to turn the pants into a vest.

I'm a 37 short, and the jacket is a bit too big for me (haven't even tried on the pants). I'd probably have to get the jacket taken apart and retailored to make it fit properly, and that isn't happening any time soon. (Probably not until I can afford to vestify the pants--I'm guessing 5-10 years.)

I'd consider a trade, but I don't need plaid pants of any type whatsoever. Hmmm... what do you have in the way of bow ties? I prefer something narrower than the current default of 2.5".

mace said...

Scottish, impressed and totally with you on the cutting of that Black Watch suit. It had better not be a 38.

Anonymous said...

When did Murray's make those pants? Does anyone know?

Percy Chatsworth said...

Noooo! Not ADG.

C.Sharp said...

I am thinking they are 70's era Corbins.

Giuseppe said...

Fogey,

Email me. If you really want to trade, I have a bunch of good stuff you might be interested in.

ScottyAlexander said...

What happened to ADG and Maxminimus? It was my favorite blog after this one!

Beth Dunn said...

I'm a Scot and I love your outfit!

xoxo

SC

PS I'm drinking red wine I would not dare throw anywhere as it may stain my curtains

Ian Gilmoure said...

good to have you back! please don't pull a Toad or a ADG

Scott said...

Hey, highland fashion in the 18th century paired multiple tartans, so you're just resurrecting a vintage style (anyway, the idea of specific clan tartans was a Victorian invention).

Anonymous said...

I wish I still had all my old "go to hell" pants as you call them. I had a sweet collection back in high school.

I'll definitely have to check out the halloween section now, I usually just breeze past all the awful latex and neon wigs.

I am also scottish, and I, for one, am glad to see this stuff making a resurgence.

Anonymous said...

I started reading Maxminimus six weeks ago. He had become my Saturday morning treat. Alack! Alas! Come back little ADG, come back.

Anonymous said...

If you are not Scottish yourself, there are no rules governing the wearing of clan patterns. It only matters if you are indeed(as I am) attached to a particular clan, or clans as the case is more often than not. Wear in pride my good man!

Anonymous said...

Wow this was a great post.. I' m enjoying it.. good resource