19 December 2009

Holiday Entertaining at Home

Last night, Mrs. G. and I hosted a few friends for a small Christmas get-together. As we were eating, it occurred to me that this was the first gathering we've hosted for people other than family since the arrival of the children. It helps that we now have friends who also have rambunctious three year old boys.I tell you, I spent two days cleaning the house in anticipation: polishing floors, vacuuming furniture and so forth. It took those three little punks about thirty seconds to undo all my work...which is exactly as it should be.

Anyway, on to the superficial trivialities upon which this blog is based.

The Togs:
A festive pair of trousers and a Brooks Brothers navy blue merino wool cardigan, worn with a white oxford, black tassel loafers and bright yellow socks. My apologies for not having my usual "action shot" of the clothes, but it was a long night.

The Spread:

Mixed Greek olives and roasted salted almonds,

Roncal, an aged sheep's milk cheese from Basque country. Fromager d'Affinois Brebis, a French soft ripened cheese, like Brie, but made from sheep's milk, sweet as butter. Fig paste from New Zealand. Chicken liver pate with black truffles and white wine. French petite toasts.

Baby spinach salad, in a homemade dressing of Dijon mustard, olive oil and red wine vinegar, with Bosc pear, dried cranberries, red onion and slivered blanched almonds.
Mini London broil sandwiches, with Gorgonzola and homemade parsley and onion relish, on fresh baguette.

Not pictured: Roasted chicken legs with Herbes de Provence. Potatoes and carrots, roasted, plain and simple, with olive oil, kosher salt and black pepper.

Washed down with plenty, and I do mean plenty, of wine. We had plenty of Chateau Coupe Roses Minervois, a medium bodied and slightly floral red blend from the south of France. An extremely approachable and versatile wine, not too dear at $12.99 a bottle. Also on the board were a racy little baby Tuscan, and a bottle of Chinon that didn't get opened...I'm saving that one for tomorrow. Word on the street is we're getting snowed in tonight.

Finished off with spiced hot cider and rum.

Damn, we should do this more often.






9 comments:

Charles said...

Yes you should and you should invite some of your virtual friends.

The Sluice Box said...

Based on the photos and description, it's clear that you and your wife are thoughtful and hospitable hosts. Looks like a wonderful evening.

Giuseppe said...

Longwing! I remember you! Good to hear from you again. Next time I pull this off, I'll make sure to serve Port Wine Cheese Ball in honor of my virtual friends.

Sluice Box,
Thanks for the kind words. We do enjoy entertaining, we just don't get to do it often enough.

Anonymous said...

Nice spread. You have a surprisingly refined palate for an American. Perhaps as well as a dress like grownups blog you should also dedicate a blog to eating like a grownup! Keep up the good work.

Andrew M. said...

I only hope to be as good as you at entertaining when I finally move out on my own. Very well done.

Anonymous said...

why didn't you wear your free clown shirt?

Anonymous said...

Good work - Can you picture our Grandparents eating out or ordering in for the Holidays.

Had a Christmas party at my house with a Ham with a orange glaze, mixed vegtables with pasta, a pork stew, tossed salad, and another Italian dish pluse everybody received a bag to brign home. Our chistmas party is all over facebook.

Please start a cooking blog.

Diane @ Haute Flashion said...

What an amazing spread! Wish I could have been there.

I just wanted to thank you for inspiring me. My husband first found your blog back in the spring, and showed it to me. I was a brand new thrifter, and I loved all of your humorous stories about your thrifting adventures and finds.

You actually inspired me to start my own blog. I am having so much fun with it! I am hoping that my readership will grow, but even if it doesn't, it is an immensely enjoyable creative outlet.

So, thank you! You rock!!

Unknown said...

I picked up the same Brooks sweater on Ebay....love it. Been a lucker for a while. Hope you and yours have a great New Year.
Best...
BenE