13 November 2009

Cold Nights are Nothing to Complain About

Because hot, spiced alcohol drinks are a fine way to relax after a satisfying meal.
Recently, I learned of the pleasures of a good hot apple cider, spiced and laced with dark rum. Being hot and consumed from a mug, it gives me some of the better pleasures of coffee, but without all the jittery, can't fall asleep parts. It goes well with dessert, a course I eat on a fairly regular basis. (tonight it was homemade pumpkin pie...could explain why my weight has somehow become a topic of discussion at WASP 101...sheesh).

It's a good drink for the cheapskate in me, too. Living in New England, apple cider is cheap and plentiful this time of year. A half gallon of fresh, local cider can usually be had for less than $3.00. As for rum, I like Brugal. It's rich and fragrant, with a big creamy texture. For a better description than I'll ever give, see here. Note especially the part about the old Dominican saying: " Si tomas Brugal tu resuelve o peleas.--If you drink Brugal you either fight or have sex." Gotta love it. Besides, it can usually be had for less than $20 a fifth, in my case $17.99. Not bad for a good bottle of 80 proof brown spirits.

In a saucepan, boil cider with one cinnamon stick and a hefty sprinkle each of allspice, cloves and nutmeg. Pour a healthy whiff of rum in your favorite mug, fill to the top with hot cider, stir and enjoy with your favorite sugary, fattening treat....unless you're afraid what others might say about your girth.

Cheers and a yo-ho-ho!

15 comments:

Old School said...

Any suggestions about what could be substituted for rum?

Young Fogey said...

Why do you bother with WASP 101? They're doofuses over there.

Nice recipe, though.

Unknown said...

While being discussed at the aforementioned blog would never be a point of pride, at least What's-his-polo-blazer had the decency to offer removal of the comment. For what it's worth, I appreciate your infrequent food posts immensely. A man should know how to both dress and cook (and, eat!). Please know that you have inspired me to whip up a batch of spiced cider this weekend.

Giuseppe said...

Old School,

Brandy would be a nice substitute, particualrly Asbach Uralt from Germany. I mught grab a bottle when the Brugal runs out.

Fogey and Gregory,

Yesterday a commenter told me about the crack at WASP 101. Had to look...you know, the old "train wreck" syndrome.

Percy Chatsworth said...

It was fun to see a mention of you in today's (Sat. Nov. 14) Globe And Mail! You already have press in Canada! Good job old boy!

Josh said...

I think I saw Brugal on sale in Central Square last night at Superior - worth investigating to stock up for the winter months ahead.

C said...

That Wasp101 post is a nightmare. Now some joker has brought politics into it. Politics in a post about a dude's body image issues?

Recipe sounds nice. I'd try it if I drank.

Turling said...

Eventually, in Southern California it will be cold. For a week. I'll keep this post bookmarked for that rarest of occasions.

Old School said...

Conor:

Try it without the booze.

The combination of spices (rather than just cinnamon sticks)works wonders.

Anonymous said...

I think it's "If you have Brugal you either fight or resolve the situation", for "si tomas Brugal, tu resuelves o peleas". Nothing to do with sex (and know that's a shame..)

Giuseppe said...

I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that. I like the sex translationa lot better.

DAM said...

Good recipe, less expensive than those kits William Sonoma sells for a small fortune.

Pigtown*Design said...

I add a slight squeeze of lemon to the hot cider. Perfect for after walking the dog in the evening when I don't want a coffee.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous November 15, 2009 6:49 AM:
It's correct as "you have sex or you fight". However, this used to be said for a Dominican rum by Bermudez called Palo Viejo which, after the catchphrase Giuseppe mentions became popular, came out with an ad saying "Ron Palo Viejo, nunca peleo" [Ron Palo Viejo, I never fight] implying that he would be doing the "resuelve".

Archiduque said...

Ok, then! It's nicer with the sexual meaning, I must admit..
PS: Guiseppe,really fine blog!