25 October 2010

Top Shelf Flea Market II (my sincerest gratitude)

For the second time running, I am proud to announce that The Top Shelf Flea Market was a roaring success! A good time was had by one and all, and I think I speak for all of the vendors in expressing my deepest gratitude to all the wonderful folks who came to see us and purchase our wares. If you were among the many folks who came a bought something, enjoy your new vintage goodies with my blessing.

As busy as I was, I didn't get to snap that many photos, but I did get a few:
The calm before the storm: my little shop just moments before we opened. The green doeskin blazer is defininitely a new favorite. (photo by James of 10engines).
Twenty minutes later, all these damn customers showed up and proceeded to wreck the place. Savages...
I'm pleased to say it was the same story all around the room...

Two dudes I can't thank enough: James Fox of the great blog 10engines (left), who helped me handle the hoards of ravenous well dressed gents. His signaure "hi/lo" style was in full effect in this combination of vintage thick-as-your-thumb Harris tweed, multi colored tattersall shirt with French cuffs, camoflage bow tie, heavy duty Carhart work pants and old longwings. My kid brother Nick (right) may be a casual fellow, but damned if doesn't shine a pair of brogues to a high gloss shine worthy of the military. Old school.

Further help was provided by this dashing young gent, my son. He'd been talking about having his uncle shine his shoes every day for three weeks, so after getting the polish on his Weejuns, he decided to stay and help out the old man by drinking ginger ale and planting himself firmly in a strategic spot where he could protect the record player from getting jostled.
My office

Hours into it, i can be seen here gesticulating wildly, no doubt pontifiacting about some arcane and downright inconsequential sartorial detail to this kind young fellow Mariano, who listens complacently in a check tweed jacket with suede elbow patches, leather gloves in the breast pocket, brown paddock boots, a boiled wool vest and a loden green alpine hat. Indeed, the last person I need to preach to.  (photo by N'East Style)
I'll be kicking myself for years for not snapping up this vintage wool Red Sox penant from Vintage Haven at the booth next door. Damn it!

Later that night, spent and exhausted, with a few extra bucks in my pocket, sushi take out and a short bottle of Jean Vesselle Brut Reserve Champagne really hit the spot.

I really can't thank the vendors and customers enough. Top Shelf Flea Market is a labor of love for me, and it's really gartifying to see so many people having such a good time. I love meeting and talking to interesting folks, and for me that's the highlight of an event like this. I can't wait for round three in the coming Spring.

We here in the somewhat insular community that is menswear blogging often lament the downward spiral of decorum and style in modern society, and it can be easy to wallow in that. But I have never seen so many polite and stylish people in one room ever. If the number of guys I talked to on Sunday in Barbour jackets, bow ties, tweed, brogues and tartan is any indication, there may be hope yet for the future.

In closing, if any of you have pictures of Top Shelf II you'd like to share, I'd love to see them. Feel free to email me at anaffordablewardrobe@yahoo.com.

Thank you all,

Giuseppe

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks to everyone that attended this show and stopped by to do some shopping. It's not to late to own this great vintage Red Sox pennant. It can be purchased at www.vintagehaven.etsy.com.
Debbie
Vintage Haven

Rebecca said...

Congratulations on your success & bravo to the polite and stylish customers who keep hope alive!

Anonymous said...

That looked awesome. Wish I could fly out from the West Coast for one of these.

Sean said...

Any 42 long jackets still available? I am always in the market

Giuseppe said...

I'll take a look.

Young Fogey said...

Congratulations, Giuseppe! I'm sure everyone had a wonderful time, due entirely to your hard work and dedication.

You keep this up and you may have to go on the road with this...

...well, a fella can dream, can't he?

Enzo AGC said...

This looks great. Had planned on driving up from NYC, but LAS and startwithtypewriters bailed on me at the last minute. To be fair, I only asked them they day before. Next time (hopefully there is one), I'm heading up solo if need be. You end up selling the chestnut tassels (first on the right) in the picture below? If they still need a good home and are size 10.5, I know another Italian from New England that would be happy to take them off your hands.

Ian D said...

I got a very stylish brown corduroy jacket, and I'll definitely be back down to Somerville for the next one. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Ooh, since you are looking within your collection Mr. G (or is that Mr. T?), would you please keep a look out for any 40 short too?

Mariano said...

Congratulations on the success of the Top Shelf Flea. Great vendors, great customers, and reasonable prices! I'm looking forward to wearing the Blackwatch tartan pants ASAP.

P.S. Thanks for the shout-out, my wife got a kick out of it!

michael said...

Great gig! Nice to find so many like minded people in one place. Unfortunatley didn't find any clothes to drop any $ on, but did find a great book (and one Steinbeck 1st edition that I am dreaming about) and one of 10E's bags is now our new fireplace wood carrier...looking forward to the next one. Wish I could have grabbed your ear for a bit, but as the man of the hour you seemed to have your hands full at the opening bell.

Unknown said...

Good stuff! I walked away with a great tweed. The other members of my party found some great buys too. Next time, you're going to need to find a bigger space - it was seriously crowded.

Steve said...

Thanks, Giuseppe. I was very happy with all my purchases especially the vintage cashmere 3/4length topcoat.
To Enzo AGC - sorry, but I scored the chestnut tassels. In the second photo, I'm the "savage" in the blue shirt (right) -- trying on said shoes... Get there early Enzo. We lined up at 9:45am. Cheers from another New England-born Italian-American!