17 September 2009

The Jams

After yesterday's round of comments, I've decided to lay off pictures involving my middle. Good thing I also recently acquired some really killing Jams, $2.00 apiece.
Stan Getz, Joao Gilberto and Antonio Carlos Jobim...the version of "Girl from Ipanema", Jobim sings the first half, with the lovely Astrud Gilberto finishing things off. Incomparable. The rest of the album, though not nearly as well known, is every bit as good. A masterpiece of delicate Brazilian bossa nova jazz. If you ever throw a cocktail party (a real one, with grown-ups in proper clothes drinking liquor in a dimly lit and well decorated room) this is the only record you need.

Quick rule of thumb: Verve released a whole bunch of these records with fancy glossy printed gate-fold covers, featuring modern/beatnik oil paintings on the front, simple modern fonts, and extensive liner notes. I've picked up a lot of them over the years, and so far not a dud in the bunch. Great music artfully packaged, a real thing to own, $0.99 ipod download be damned.
The Amazing Jimmy Smith Trio live at the Village Gate. To be honest, I think Hammond organ in a jazz setting can be a bit dodgy, but ole Jimmy kills it every time. A real upbeat set of tunes, a good one to motivate when the house requires extensive cleaning, which is a situation that a certain three year old boy I know seems bent on making permanent.
And lastly, Sammy Davis Jr. in the late fifties, when he was still wearing an eye patch. What can I say about this dude? He takes things to a level of bad-ass that Frank Sinatra could only read about. Seriously, any guy who can slay an all white crowd full of well dressed drunks in Las Vegas in the days when it may have been acceptable to think of him as merely a "diminutive, one-eyed negro Jew" is, simply, a Bad Ass. I may be a full blooded Italian, but of all the members of the Rat Pack, Sammy was always my favorite. That Peter Lawford guy, on the other hand.....

In closing, enjoy:



p.s. Tell me Astrud's not as cute as a button...I dare you.

9 comments:

Jon said...

I recently converted the getz/gilberto album from an old vinyl LP to digital for my grandfather and his wife. I could also suggest any of Chris Connor's albums, especially the "sings lullaby's of birdland."

Anonymous said...

What a great video! I love "The Girl from Ipanema", it's so evocative of Brazil. I was in Brazil many years ago and the people are all so friendly and attractive. An exotic mix of European, African, and Hispanic. I would be walking down the street in Sao Paulo and see one person representing the whole United Nations walking down the street, always smiling. I never felt so pasty white and clueless as I did in Brazil but the people were lovely. Diana Krall has mentioned Joao Gilberto and Antonio Carlos Jobim as huge influences on her, hence her live in Brazil album and inclusion of "The Boy from from Ipanema" on her latest studio album "Quite Nights".

Unknown said...

nice pick up on the getz/gilberto. one of my all time faves, but I bet it sounds 20x better on vinyl

Enzo AGC said...

Sammy was the most talented for sure but come on, Dino!?!

In regard to yesterday's comments - don't back down so easy...Jack is the one with decorum, not you. It remeinds me of when Tucker Carlson stopped wearing bow ties after he was razzed by John Stewart. Never give up, never surrender!

Anonymous said...

stan getz is a godsend

Giuseppe said...

Enzo,

Dino was definitely the Jams too.

As for surrendering, don't worry. I read those comments in the morning, mulled them over for a day, then had a huge piece of meat lasgne for dinner, followed by coconut ice cream with chocolate sauce.

Remember, I'm Italian, so any lifestyle change that involves less food, especially cheese and carbs, and wine probably ain't gonna happen any time soon.

Easy and Elegant Life said...

Getz/Gilberto is on permanent rotation here at the Manse. Stressful day? Cue it up and drift away. I defy you not to hum along!

Andrew said...

Nice finds! I've been scouring thrift stores forever looking for Getz/Gilberto. To my delight, I found Jazz Samba (Getz with Charlie Byrd on the guitar) and Getz Au Go Go (a killer live performance I wish I had been alive to see) the other day.
I commend your taste in music as well as in clothing.

Alex M said...

I know this is an old post, but I'm paging through your blog for the first time... I heartily encourage you to go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm3wP0L8g5c&feature=related

I think any musician would find this "interesting." I'd hate to be his mailman...