14 September 2009

Tassels

I haven't been thrifting much lately, and as such I've learned a lot about the difference between "need" and "desire". But yesterday, a few extra bucks in hand, I found myself back to my old habits, dragging the poor hapless children around to sort through other peoples cast-offs. Scored a bundle, damn it felt good! My acquisitions were so diverse, I've decided to break them up into a few posts.

And so, we have these barely used and very well-cared-for black wing-tip tassel loafers:
Nice and shiny, obviously kept with shoe tress in them,
Bostonians, made in U.S.A., back when Bostonians were some damn good shoes worth having, and keeping. I'm not sure if it was a local thing, but I remember Bostonians being the go-to shoe for business men who couldn't afford Aldens...a nicely made alternative. A quick Google search turned up nothing on the companies history. Don't bother looking them up. All you'll find are ugly, knob-toed atrocities made in sweat shop in China on sale at Zappos.com. Too bad. Still, not a bad pair of shoes for $6.99.

I gave them their first run with jeans today. Now I know as well as anybody that the perfect foil for these shoes is a navy blue suit, but I hardly ever get to wear a navy blue suit, and I really like these shoes. Besides, I rarely wear jeans anymore, having switched mostly to khakis for casual wear, but I always thought jeans looked best with incongruous dress shoes. And it wasn't so long ago that I ran with the cool kids and dressed like this all the time.

So, then, what to do with these?

You may remember, the last time I wore a navy blue suit, I found this pair of Florsheim's shortly after. I'm usually pretty discerning, even for a thrifter. But the truth is, this pair is just too big. A total impulse purchase. (Mrs. G., if you're reading this, forgive me. I'm fully aware of the fact that I own more shoes than is decent for a man. However, a guy needs his vices, and it's been a long time since I quit smoking. Cut me a break, will ya?)

So if any of you guys wears a size 10 1/2 wide, and needs yet another pair of somebody else's shoes, email me. These are in good shape, though they would benefit from a new pair of insoles. They'd look great with your 501s and a Harris Tweed jacket. Maybe we can trade something.



10 comments:

Young Fogey said...

Nice find! I, too, have some made in America Bostonians, purchased back in the 80s. Due to grad school and the like, I haven't worn them continuously, but I have taken care of them and they still look good.

Incidentally, at no point since I've met my wife has she had more shoes than I.

foolio_iglesias said...

good call on the denim,man!They give those kind of shoes a whole 'nother dimension,especially if the jeans are kinda distressed and beat up.Obama jeans,Mom&Dad jeans(not a brand) or Brett Favre Wranglers don't apply.....

Anonymous said...

I've always had an aversion to the "hybrid" tassel (or any "hybrid" shoe style for that matter). To be, the combo tassel/brogue is...well...just that, a combo. A deviation from the "original" which would never distract from the tassel styling by adding needless brogue styling/punching. Perhaps it's just me, but these don't do the originals justice...

Toad said...

Exactly my size G, but mercifully I have all I need.

Anonymous said...

Bostonian is a great brand. They sell them at Macy's. I got a pair of Burgundy penny loafers a few months ago from them

C said...

Nice find G. I just got my own first pair of black tassel loafers (AE), but mine were from eBay. Yours look good with jeans, and those socks are killer.

AthensStyle said...

I realy like your taste in clothes, and as I have told you before I'm envy you in the U.S. for the sophisticated second hand market that you have, which is non-existed in Europe and especialy Greece. But as much as I could buy a used jacket or belt etc. I'm not sure If I could buy a used shoe, first of all for reasons related to health issues (odor and the like) and second of all I think that every shoe takes the form of the owners feet (the walking style if you like). So even if you have the same size feet isn't likely the shoe has "different" fit??

Giuseppe said...

Athens,

True, used shoes can be a little sketchy. I'm extra picky about them. I only take the ones which are suoer clean and well maintained, the less previously worn the better.

I wear my shoes pretty hard, so fits not much of a problem. Any molding that someone else put them through I tend to beat out of them.

Young Fogey said...

Anonymous I,

Gotta disagree with you here. I have 3 pairs of tassel loafers: 1 plain, 1 kiltie, and one kiltie with brogueing. I enjoy them all, but the kiltie tassels with brogueing look the best.

On the other hand, I understand the appeal of clean lines. I like both, but ultimately, de gustibus non est disputandum.

FIXED BAYONET METAL SOLDIERS said...

Bought Samuel Windsor Tassel loafers for 29 pounds handmade=perfect.