13 November 2008

Heavy Duty

To borrow a term from fellow blogger Heavy Tweed Jacket, I give you my own humble version of the full "Heavy Duty Ivy" look:
Comfortable, casual and relatively waterproof. The three things I was looking for today, as the weather was dreary and I was feeling a bit lazy. However:Throw a bow tie at it and you elevate the whole look from 'lazy over-priveleged white boy (which I most certainly am not) ' to 'quirky New England country gentleman (which I most certainly am not) ' in a snap.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

If only you had worn chinos instead of dungarees, the look would have been perfect.

Giuseppe said...

The chinos were in the dirty laundry.

heavy tweed jacket said...

I like the jeans look (of course khakis would work), but the 1970s Heavy-Duty Ivy thing (at least through the Japanese lens) is about jeans. I was just on the train in Tokyo the other day when I noticed a Speedmaster inches from my face, attached to the arm of someone holding onto the railing above the seats. I followed the arm down and the fellow was watering a white OCBD, grey cotton crewneck sweater, Barbour Bedale coat, jeans and brown calf desert boots. You weren't in Tokyo were you?

Toad said...

There is something about jeans and tie that really leave me cold. It's a juxtaposition of casual and dressy that doesn't work for me.

Giuseppe said...

I prefer to think of it as bringing the casual clothes up a notch, rather than bringing the nice clothes down a notch.

NKD said...

great outfit.
what kind of jeans are those?