25 November 2009

Back To Normal

So, after instigating some lively discussion over the past few days, I've decided to take this blog back in its normal direction tonight. And nothing says "back to normal" like some "zesty" (Mrs. G's word, not mine) wool tartan slacks:
Remeber this pair? I bought them when the weather was warm, for $3.99, and have been absolutely dying to wear them. Some of you laughed, and said I was crazy...and you were right. But the minute I saw them, I envisioned them with a flannel blazer and a white shirt. I guess clothing like this puts holiday season in top gear.
When I got this pair, they were too long, and bell-bottoms. I find a lot of these pants from the 70's made of the nicest wool, but with awful flares. Remember, a good tailor can taper them back to normal. Also, bell bottoms tend to have a very trim fit through the thigh, so when tapered the cut becomes quite current, for not that much scratch. Red socks and tassel loafers finish the look. The only things missing are the fireplace and the Scotch.

And for good measure, an un-matching Tartan cap. I'm really digging the whole multiple Tartan thing lately.

Sheesh, I really have taken the whole "go to Hell" pants thing off the deep end this year...I need help...

p.s. read this.


14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those pants are ugly.

Rebecca said...

Great look! It catches this mature lady's attention. By the way, I went to "here" and read the response to your 11/24 post. I enjoyed the discussion & views. I think his(?) final paragraph was a keeper.

Rasputin said...

Lookin' good! Definitely got that "Holiday Spirit" look!

P.s.- read the p.s.- not sure I agree- but to each his own- but if I spent that kinda cash, I want to look like Steve McQueen in Thomas Crown Affair!!!

SUM said...

G, I am originally from London and like you consider myself thrifty. Regrettably, the scene (or at least a part of it), is also focused on Americana (arguably, the creative trendies have always have such a leaning). Having written this, I forget my point. Ah yes, i wanted to ask whether you have ever thought about writing something about English style? I personally give my GTH message to my otherwise conservative audience (mainly lawyers) via multi-colored socks or shirts, never by wearing ridiculous cufflinks. The trick is to look wholly conservative but allow people to see your personality through a single accessory.

Enough, the porridge in the pan is bubbling.

Cyclo2000 said...

As always, a good look.
What kind of reaction do you get when you're out in town in such strides though? I wore a pair of nantucket reds out in Glasgow on the last sunny day we had and you'd have thought I'd left my cock hanging out the way I was being stared at!

Percy Chatsworth said...

On this (American) Thanksgiving Day, I am thankful for Guiseppe's blog.

Armilyn and David said...

Isn't it weird that in Western eyes, loud or patterned pants is viewed as obnoxious or ugly. Yet if you reversed your outfit and were wearing the same plaid as a shirt and navy flannel pants, no one would bat an eye. It's roughly the same amount of fabric, but something about patterns on the lower half of a man makes people look and think "WTF?"

David

Young Fogey said...

I am thankful for, amongst other things,

Giuseppe's wonderful blog;
his sense of style;
his thriftiness;
his willingness to share all this, thereby inspiring us; and
his friendship.

Happy Thanksgiving! Let us all thank the Lord for everything he blesses us with, each and every day.

P.S.: You do need help--and I'm pushing you in the wrong direction by trading a Black Watch suit to you!

trip said...

Man, sweet pants, and somehow they manage to actually tone down the red socks.

Enzo AGC said...

That jacket is a stunner...

Anonymous said...

Do us all a favor and get a job soon, so you can stop shopping at thrift stores. You are soiling the internet with these atrocities. You look like a freaking clown.

Giuseppe said...

Anonymous,

You've clearly missed the point of everything I have to say here.

There's always someone willing to pick on people who show a bit of individuality. I bet you pride yourself on dressing just like everyone else. Have fun with that.

take heed said...

Thrifters unite! I adore your blog, and your sense of style. Keep rocking the GO TO HELL pants!!

FIXED BAYONET METAL SOLDIERS said...

>Honestly G you look like a loon from LITTLE BRITAIN. What is this Scots stuff?
The only look that goes Ok with tartan is a nice blue blazer with muted Black watch trousers