03 November 2009

Stadium Gear

Mrs. G. had the day off today, and so, of course, we set off in search of other peoples cast offs at cheap prices. Good thing , too. I picked up this really killing old style football coach sweater for $6.99:
Check those big wide lapels, they really make the sweater...
and those wooden buttons ain't half bad either.



I'm sure Ralph pays people to scour the thrifts in search of items like this for "inspiration". Think of it, with a silly skull and bones patch or fake varsity letter on the chest, this thing could be selling at Rugby for $150 or so...

...perfect with the red cords and some new argyles, another pair of socks recently acquires at Target. I would have preferred my penny loafers, but the blucher mocs will do. You see, after this thrift excursion, I had to go straight to work. This sweater completed my outfit better than the brown goose down vest I left the house in...so I left the vest in the car and immediately put on the sweater. Call it good fortune, or mild craziness...which ever you prefer.

Made in Italy for Filene's. That name really meant something once. This label tells me that the sweater has likely spent it's whole life in the Boston area. 50/50 wool/acrylic...I would rather all wool, of course, but believe me, this thing is nice, bullet proof and warm, so I'll take the compromise. Though this sweater has a decidedly 1940's football vibe, the acrylic, in my educated guess/opinion, dates this piece firmly in the mid to late 1960's...I'll take it.

Also procured, the elusive university striped button down in Lavender, courtesy of Ralph, $3.99


Maybe I'm in the wrong line of work. Hey, Ralph, wanna give a fella a job? On second thought, never mind. You'll just make me move to New York...




14 comments:

ScottyAlexander said...

Ralph's winter line a few years ago made me fall for shawl collar sweaters. I've picked up a few from eBay since, as I'm yet to thrift one. It's amazing how they're everywhere now! Even the mass markets are in on it, which makes wearing one less fun. Hopefully the trend will be over soon and I'll be back to "the preppy guy with the weird cardigan." Wonderful post, G!

L.A.S said...

nice Thom Browne stripes on the arm there...

Rasputin said...

Great Score! The sweater and the shirt for under $15?!!!!
Man, that would be $200.00 easy from Polo Land...

james at 10engines said...

insane sweater. buddy of mine used to have a great phrase "i got it at this littel place i know.. Fleens" (meaning Filenes.) shame that it is gone (the basemant i mean) and an eyesore left in its place. someone made some money there...

Young Fogey said...

Great sweater! Too bad nothing like that ever shows up around here--it just doesn't get cold enough for clothes like that where I live.

And yes, that's a complaint.

Frank said...

There are a number of knitting mills out there who will custom make a vintage looking chenille patch for your sweater. If I were you, i'd go with an interlocking AAW.

Acrylic blend= mid to late 60s

me said...

I washed the shirt for you last night, I figured you'd want to sport it right away.

<3 love you.

Unknown said...

Really great find!
All you need is one of those little college flags and you're good to go.

Jack Floyd said...

RAH!

Jake (The Tyrant) said...

That is phenomenal sweater.

Pitboss12 said...

That sweater is 1000 times better than the versions put out by J.Crew, Ralph, or Thom Browne. Why can't I ever find stuff like that?

A said...

I like the lavender university stripe a lot. One of my favorite Boston thrift shops is Boomerangs in Jamaica Plain, tons of good stuff, but a lot of hipsters picking through.

the other one I like is that big pink one in Cambridge, Garment District I believe.

Anonymous said...

I didn't even know they made lavender stripe, nice finds!

スタービーチ said...

新しくリニューアルオープンしたスタービーチでは、新しいであいのカタチを提案します☆日本で一番有名なであい系、スタビならあなたに出逢いたい人が必ず見つかります