18 October 2011

Cycling Attire

I'm what the kids call "Old School". I wish, that in late October, it might be chilly outside, so I can wear my cold weather clothes, which are so much more my jam that the Summer stuff. But since it ain't, I decided to get the bikes back on the road, most notably Ye Olde Fixed Gear. Formerly my primary mode of transport, I'm thrilled to have her back as occasional company. However, now that tight pants and t-shirts are no longer quite "it", what to wear?

-Vintage athletic gear, of course. Tattered old khakis, rolled high, with a simple navy t-shirt, soft brown leather belt, orange socks and Converse...all elevated by the vintage 1960s navy Varsity cardigan with white stripes (and wooden buttons), best $1 I ever spent. A helmet, of course, is de rigeur.

p.s. a store bought "fixie" is lame to no end...a home made conversion is the Jam.

p.p.s. lugged steel frame

p.p.p.s. notice how this post had nothing to do with the Flea?....I fooled you...I fooled you....( I got all....livestock....)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing sweater. Wood buttons? I'm so jealous right now. And for a buck, too...

Jho78 said...

Some sweet french cuffs on Mr. Cash.

the old road said...

Fuji for life.

Giuseppe said...

old road,

My other geared bike that I use to pull the kids trailer is also a 1980s Fuji. I do love my Japanese steel.

Anonymous said...

I used to use rubber bands to keep my pants legs out of the gears, rather than roll them up. I would do it even with a chain guard.

My favorite bike is my Raleigh 3 speed that I bought over 30 years ago. I get offers for it all the time.

Love the sweater.

Some Assembly Required said...

I've been griping about the weather to my wife, to the point that she's sick of hearing me. I should be able to wear a tweed jacket in October...

iBoutiques said...

Vintage designs continue to resurface from time to time. They seem to have a unique kind of elegance that captivates people across different times. Revivals of vintage styles now influence fashion trend.

Anonymous said...

'A store bought fixie...conversion'
Oh... my... God... The goosebumps raced up and down my arms until I couldn't stand it anymore. It was like watching a girl try her hardest to sing on a particularly harsh episode of Made. Rough.