20 February 2010

Anglophilia

...without the benefit of any clothing that actually came from England:
A tan spread collar shirt by Polo, $1.00, a woolen houndstooth bow tie, the generous gift of Miss Ellie Laveer, a Scottish (okay, I guess that's technically British) lambswool v-neck from the House of Tweed, $5.99, and a bullet proof tweed jacket from the Andover Shop, $6.99 (by the way, not only does this jacket retail for $875, but the Andover Shop actually had it on display in the window only 3 weeks ago...super score!)
With brown suede brogues from Cole Haan, $5.49, argyle socks from the Gap, $5.00, and some 'cinnamon' colored cords from Lands End. At $45 these were kind of pricey, but I was in the mood and I love this color. I will admit, however, that there is something inherently wrong with paying more for Lands End cords than I did for that jacket, but so be it.

Topped off with my newly arrived dark olive corduroy driving cap from the Village Hat Shop. I bought this hat especially for this jacket. You see, I wear British style diving caps almost exclusively. I just didn't have one that went with this jacket. The jacket was languishing in the closet. That's just wrong...so I bought this hat.

Village Hat Shop is pretty cool, if you like caps. They carry a wide range, and most are less than $20. This jobby cost me $14.95. No, it's not made in the U.S.A. by superior old word craftsmen...but, No, it also doesn't cost $300. The quality is perfectly fine, the price is right and it shipped quickly. Sometimes, you gotta pick your battles.

18 comments:

Old Trad said...

I wish that gentlemen in England really dressed that well!

Anonymous said...

That jacket is pimp tight.

ADG said...

G-Man...that "rig" in totality is stronger than wolf piss. Stellar. As good as anything I saw in London the other week.

spoozyliciouzz said...

Guiseppe,

yo absolutely look fabolous...the bow-tie is really great, so is the jacket.

Great finds once again...

CLG said...

nicely done....nicely done

David V said...

I like the look.
I wish my local thrifts had as much authentic ivy as the Boston area does.
Please rethink the spread collar with the bow.

Sophie said...

Old Trad: some do, my father for instance. Unfortunately they are a dwindling minority.

Ebenezer Howard, Jr. said...

I'm pretty sure that you are the Master.

Young Fogey said...

What can I say? Fantastic outfit. You can dress better, for less than $100, than most people could do even with a budget an order of magnitude greater.

But you do have three incredible advantages: taste; a discerning eye; and incredible thrift stores. Recently, I saw a suit at "thrift" store--for ninety bucks! Outrageous. I intend to have words with the manageress.

Cyclo2000 said...

http://www.hatsandcaps.co.uk/Christys-Hats-Olive-Windowpane-Flat-Cap--P160020/

Anonymous said...

Outstanding from top to bottom, however (there's always a "however" on the internet), I think you need more whimsy with the pocket square, too pat. How about something blue-ish?

Thad said...

Need to really check out the thrift stores around here ... maybe they will have half the hauls that haunts do!

Btw, loved the coat ... never saw anything as nice in the many charity shops that I visited in the UK!

DAM said...

That sporting coat is amazing. Good Score.

philou. said...

pretty adorable style at all. i definitely like!

cheers, philou.

The Cordial Churchman said...

Ellie and I agree that this looks quite exquisite. Did you happen to snap a head-to-toe?

Youngster said...

I have bought many hats at the village hat shop. They have a made in USA section, and some of them are very affordable. To actually be in the store and try on all the hats will loosen your wallet a bit.

SkinnyGuinea said...

I know it's 9 months later, but I just picked up those same cords from Land's End for $20! Just checked your post to see what you wore with them. Nice.

Old Trad said...

@Sophie:
After almost 4 years, the minority has dwindled even further.