29 October 2013

The Jams : Prodigal Sons (equipment edition)


I got this KLH Model Twenty-Four record player and FM radio at a thrift store (of course) a long time ago. For years, I had it set up in the basement of my house where I ran the AAW online store. Now it sees active duty in the AAW physical shop.

The vintage 1960s toothbrush actually came with it. You all know that I'm a vinyl snob/nerd, and I have a particular soft spot for old KLH, the Cambridge Massachusetts company that went on to become Cambridge Soundworks. This is a good unit, perfect for a small room. Trouble is, I never had the speaker. I've been using an old pair of plastic speakers that originally were part of a folding portable record player. Not the best, but they do they have the matching inputs and they get the job done. 

Then the other day, these turned up at the very same thrift shop that the record player came from in the first place. Heavy wood and heavy tweed.


The actual speakers that belong with the stereo. What are the chances? 

Thrift shopping can be aggravating in a way that "normal" shopping is not, but it also offers the fun of moments like these, the thrill of chance and the element of surprise.   There's nothing like a family reunion when the prodigal son decides to return.

4 comments:

Marc said...

Congatulations on finding the speakers! This very thing happened to me in about 1990, but in reverse. I found a pair of Bang & Olufsen speakers in a junk shops and six months later found the missing turntable/amplifier. Old model, probably early 70s, but great sound.

Anonymous said...

All I can say is wow. Those Speakers are lovely, you are one fortunate fellow.

Anonymous said...

Your equipment is true audiophile vintage! I would imagine that it is fairly easy to find vintage KLH speakers and equipment in your area, seeing that Henry Kloss (the "K" in KLH) once had his factory in your area at some point a long time ago. What kind of amp are you using? If it's a tube amp, I can only imagine how warm the sound must be, especially when using the turntable.

Peter said...

There is a decent chance that's the set I grew up with out in Concord. It looks exactly right. I'm glad it has a good home; I have many fond memories of playing first my parents' records on it, and then later my own.