20 July 2012

Worth Every Penny: Marimekko Ties at the Andover Shop

Before we begin, allow me to give some credit where credit is due. My friend Zach has been working at the Andover Shop for a few weeks now. He put me wise to these Marimekko ties recently, and beat me to the punch in mentioning them first. I can't help but add my two cents.
Readers may note that our man Tin Tin recently had a pair of fully fabulous trousers made of the same cloth, slevedge and all. When I heard that the rest of the bolt, and a number of other knock-out Marimekko bolts, ahd been hand made into ties in New York especially, and only, for the Andover Shop, I was sold. I went down to see them in person.

Because the scale of the Marimekko prints is so large, even ties cut from the same cloth are all completely unique. 3 inches wide, untipped, handsewn...because old Charlie knows whats good and whats hip. He's the ultimate designer...because he is not a designer.


Note the yellow thread at the edges...knockout punch. Available in a variety of prints, each tie is one of a kind. So mod, so jazz, so Andover Shop.

These ties are priced $85 each, $42.50 in the 1/2 price Sumer sale. Perhaps a pinch pricey for any old cotton tie, but wirth every penny for a limited run piece of art like this.

p.s. while it is true that I think this tie is worth every penny of $85, and a deal at $42.50, in the interest of full disclosure, I inform you that this was the generous gift of Mr. Charlie Davidson himself. So flattered.

p.p.s I put it on right there in the store, a perfect match with yesterdays ensemble.:





9 comments:

Brandon said...

Just amazing. The one you are wearing in the photo is a really great blend. I'm tempted to call them myself and order one, if such a thing is possible. Thanks for sharing with us!

Zach said...

We only have 3 left that are cut from that cloth. Call the store, we do mail orders.

10engines said...

might go for this...

LLP said...

Looks like their made from the same material as a $4 handkerchief.

rental mobil said...

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

David said...

Almost makes me want to wear a tie! Really beautiful.

David M. said...

I was going to ask if that was the same cloth The Trad used.

Anonymous said...

That tie isn't hand stitched, you can see the machine stitching at the edge.

Giuseppe said...

The edge is machine stitched, but the construction was done by hand.