26 June 2013

What's In A Name? (answer)

Here is the "reveal" to the question in our last post. It's interesting that so many of you figured that the "mail order/mall brand" tie was Lands' End. I think that says something for their overall quality. More interesting still that the consensus was overwhelmingly that the brighter color must be the cheaper tie. As an odd side note, the Andover Shop tie bears one tag that reads "Made in Italy", yet also says "Made in England" on its brand tag. Curious.

9 comments:

Andrew said...

Could it be that the fabric was knit in Italy and cut and assembled in England? Not sure of the legal roundabouts of that.

Joe said...

That was my thought as well.

Anonymous said...

I didn't venture a guess, but my thought was that the more subdued tie was Lands' End, because I think that here in the Midwest we tend to muddy our classic colors a bit. Not necessarily a bad thing, but men in very bright colors do tend to stand out here.

Arg.

Grant said...

You've been duped! It's a fake Andover tie! Whole dollars wasted!

Unashamedly Crap said...

Perhaps the label was made in Italy but the tie was made in England (Macclesfield, probably)?

Cavendish said...

@Unashamedly Crap
With all due respect, the Brits could not have produced that tie. My guess is that a careless employee at The Andover Shop sewed on the label

Unashamedly Crap said...

Thank you for the compliment, Cavendish; we do have very high standards, but you Americans produce some good stuff too, so don't beat yourself up.

Northmoon said...

Ha I was right! Proves my point that fabric tells for quality.

And my word to prove I'm not a robot is 'boasting'.

Cavendish said...

@Unashamedly Crap

I can assure you that the Americans couldn't have produced that tie either.