25 September 2008

Dungarees


A lot of people, both men and women, have a difficult time with dungarees. With so many brands to choose from, and so many cuts, washes, fits, etc. it can be awfully difficult to find a good pair. And yet, nobodies wardrobe is complete without them. As I recently mentioned, I was in dire need of everyday pants for Fall so yesterday I bought 2 new pair.

I've owned loads of different brands in my time, and in the end I always come back to Levi's, in a dark wash. The pair pictured on the right are the old fashioned shrink-to-fit 501's, you know, the ones that feel like they're made of wood when first buy them. The pair on the left are 'Regular Fit' 505's, which are basically what the 501's turn into after some washing, but with a zipper instead of a button fly.

It's no use thrifting for dungarees. They are should always be bought new.True, a perfectly worn in pair can be the best thing you own sometimes, but it really doesn't count unless the were and tear is your own.

As for 'fashion' brands, I'm not a fan. Dungarees are work pants. They should wear tough, cost little and be easily replaced when the need arises. Unlike this pair:


These are from Polo,( a brand I actually like) purchased less than a year ago. Here's the scoop. My wife got a credit card at Lord & Taylor. These dungarees, originally priced at $119.95(!?!?!?) were marked down a dozen times to $24.99. Than they were 20% off at the register. Hooray for me, I guess. Here we are 9 months later and look:


A big hole in one knee, getting bigger everyday.and holes at the cuffs...and the crotch is about to go. Granted I did get these pants cheap, but technically they were over $100. And while the same fate eventually awaits the Levi's, it will no doubt take longer, and I can always get some more.

Best of all, I bought them at Sears. Dungarees should come form a store that also sells power tools.(even if you wind up wearing them with wingtips and a sport coat.)

5 comments:

james at 10engines said...

i hear you on the levis... 501's, unwashed, at sears... $30-odd. get sill ylopng ones for the big cuff 9and dont wash for a while a la ACL) or get properly sized ones...

loved the comment about the clownkid on ACL... "harsh soap..."
scarrry kid...

Armilyn and David said...

Totally agree about the Levi's. Also, never buy them at full price, Levi's always go on sale somewhere, be it Sears, Macys or elsewhere.

Schorsch said...

I can't quite tell from the picture: do you buy the shrink-to-fits according to the recommended +2/3"? Or do you just wear 'em 'til they stretch, and wash them 'til they fit?

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now. Keep it up!
And according to this article, I totally agree with your opinion, but only this time! :)

Anonymous said...

I really like when people are expressing their opinion and thought. So I like the way you are writing