14 April 2011

Last of the Season / First of the Season

Another warm day/cool night combo brings on yet another sartorial combination of dual personality. This time, a unifying theme brings seemingly disparate items together. Minor details deriving from equestrian traditions are found throughout.

Button down collars derive originally from the sport of polo. (Lands' End Original Oxford, $14.99 on sale). The throat latch on my mid-weight grey herringbone is another small equestrian touch. (Tweed jacket by Cricketeer, made in USA, $6.99. Hey, wait a minute, wasn't I wearing a version of this a year ago?). An English made regimental tie in thick silk from The Andover Shop ($1.00) and a pale pink square finish the look. All in all, a fine example of the concept of basics discussed yesterday. I do love that tweed jacket, and it's given me a lot of mileage. However, I am more than ready to put it aside by now.
A recently acquired pair of cream colored pants in soft, heavy weight cotton drill (Polo, $3.99) are bring a touch of Spring to the outfit, in an unexpected but understated way. Or maybe I'm kidding myself. Seriously, cream pants and tweed? They also feature "top pockets" (pockets like jeans have), clearly a detail with roots in the days of mounted military. A surcingle belt, in Black Watch ribbon on cream with a brown leather closure, follows suit. A hoof pick belt in brown would have been better. One of these days...
Chukka boots may not be a strictly equestrian touch, but this pair in dark green suede (Clark's, made in England, $7.99) continue the overall English countryside vibe and add interest without being (too) pushy. Brown paddock boots would have killed it to death, but I don't have any (yet). Classic pieces all, in a generally time tested combination, with just enough tweaks to make it interesting. The final touch is provided by a flat cap in khaki cotton and aviator sunglasses. A bit late 1980s perhaps, but I have been re-reading Flusser lately. Forgive me.
Also making their first appearance of the season, like crocuses (or, croci) , were my pasty white bare ankles, flashing between the cuff of my jeans and Bean blucher moccasins.

"Transitional" dressing is almost always tricky, but that's what makes it so much fun. Happy Spring.

p.s. speaking of "Last of the Season", many items are now on sale in the shop. Peruse.

4 comments:

Mirza Obaidullah Baig said...

Wow, U got a tweed jacket for $6.99? Where arth thou shop?

Young Fogey said...

Chukka boots derive their name, I believe, from a period in polo, called a chucker or chukka.

So chalk another one up to equestrian roots.

Though I'd really like to know the difference between chukka boots and desert boots.

Albert Akashi said...

Long time reader, but I rarely comment. Love the blog.

Something I have wondered for a while now, why are suede shoes associated with the country? I know they are not "shiny" and therefore not dressy. But it seems like they get dirty easily and are inherently harder to clean. I can see casual, but country?

Percy said...

Young Fogey: Desert boots have a crepe sole whereas chukka boots do not.