15 April 2011

Farewell, Old Friend. We Hardly Knew Ya'

One of the inviolable rules, if not the the only one, of being stylish is to wear clothing that fits. Don't wear the size you want, or the size you think you are, or wish you were, or whatever. Wear the clothes that fit.

One of the nice things about aging is caring less and less about dumb sh*t like wearing skinny clothes. And so, it is with no small amount of sadness that I must offer a personal favorite for sale in The Shop (along with a number of other new items):

I've wanted a hunter green blazer for as long as I can remember. When I finally came across this number in doeskin by Brooks Brothers, I was thrilled. I had it cleaned and let out. I wore it a handful of times. I tried like Hell to convince myself it fit. The shoulders barely made it and I could button it pretty good if I held my breath. As a result, I rarely wore it. When I did, it was to great effect with certain combinations, but only in pictures. In real life, I must admit, it was always too small. It never looked good on me, and I always knew it.

I wear a size 42 jacket. It's been a long time since I wore a 40. It's more than likely I'll never wear that size again. I could keep this jacket hanging unworn in my closet, wishing it fit me. But that would be a crime. Someone ought to be wearing this thing to death. And so, it's time for this old friend that never was to be set free of the fold. Please, one of you, give it the loving home it deserves.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy, do I know the feeling. I felt the same way when I finally conceded that my beloved Juicy Couture tube top was really way, way too small, and tearfully gave it to Goodwill.

Sheik of Araby said...

That green blazer with the Juicy Couture tube top would make a killer combination!

Fatfriend said...

Good call.

Anonymous said...

It is always difficult, but oh so necessary, to let these kinds of items go. I just had to with a beautiful smoking jacket of mine for the same reason...

M.Lane said...

Oh, this is SO true. I have deceived myself the same way with occasionally horrific results.

ML
mlanesepic.blogspot.com

FIXED BAYONET METAL SOLDIERS said...

i wouldnt lay that on anyone

Young Fogey said...

Please, if you ever find a beautiful green doeskin jacket in 36 or 37 short--snap it up! I would love to have one, and simply cannot afford the Brethren's current prices (and I bet the material they use now isn't as nice as what you reluctantly decided to part with).

gee said...

please if you ever find anything in green please send to the mother red cap pub in archway london they'll wear it

gee said...

green is a no no in fashion

Giuseppe said...

Green is a "no no"? Guess that explains all the fashion derive from the military in the past half century.

Besides, I have no time for fashion anyway. Thats why I dress like an outmoded crank...or hadn't you noticed.

BW said...

Damn. Sorry I missed out on that.

gee said...

come on, olive green military gear on a sultry cuban beauty is well good but green as in sports jacket or blazer is well bad

Roger v.d. Velde said...

Late comment here... I thought about this post today while in one of my usual thrift shops, when I saw a double-breasted green blazer. It's been on the only mannequin in the menswear section for about 8 months now - no takers.

I imagined you snapping it up.

Giuseppe said...

You only said green was off limits. I don't recall any qualifications about Cuban beauties or white kids from the Northeast.

gee said...

green as in blazer is like eating salmon while drinking milk

gee said...

farewell green jacket i knew you well.....er.....spose so

Giuseppe said...

Must be an American thing.