31 May 2009

Mad For Plaid

So why not wear eight kinds at once? Sun blazing, 80 degrees and humid, Memorial Day safely in the rear view mirror, and out come the "crazy pants": patch madras, in a bold, primary color palette, the ultimate in "go to hell" style.


Paired with one of my recently acquired Land's End tennis shirts, and sockless boat shoes (of course).

I bought these pants a few years ago, and they were quite the splurge. I was desperate to have a a pair, but as you may well imagine, these don't exactly turn up as often as, say, grey slacks at the thrift stores. Mrs. G, tired of hearing me harp on the subject, instructed me to break all my own self imposed rules and buy a pair (gasp!) new. "Spoil yourself," she said, "you never buy anything new."

That was all the permission I needed. I went straight to Brooks Brothers on Berkeley Street, ready to buy, but the ones they had available were a bit frumpy for a dashing young man such as yours truly. Too baggy, too pastel, too old. I found this pair down the street at the Polo store. The cut is significantly trimmer, which I like, and the colors are bright, bold and simple. Green, Red, Navy, Yellow. It was June and they only had one pair left, in my size. $110...shocking! I do find it amusing that on the rare occasion I can be convinced to buy new, I go and buy something silly and completely impractical. But they do make me happy, so who cares.

Upon arriving home, Mrs. G said something like "You paid how much for those silly looking things?"

I wear them a lot, mostly with tennis shirts in navy, white or yellow, though I will occasionally put them with a tie and a blazer. A ribbon belt is de riguer:p.s. this was yesterdays post, but I fell asleep on the couch watching reruns of Law & Order and didn't wake up until nearly 2 a.m. Such is the fast paced lifestyle of a stay at home dad on a Saturday night.

15 comments:

Justin said...

Great pants, Giuseppe. Good idea to look around for a good fit. I've found that RL trousers often (but not always) are trim and that works for me. I've noticed RL does an exceptional job on madras patchwork. The combination of patterns is careful and selective, even if the result looks random. Oh yeah, by the way, nice ink too!

lisagh said...

swoon!

Toad said...

Nice Job G. I have the matching jacket. Someday it will fir you,when that day comes I'll send it your way.

EsseQuamVideri said...

Great post. Love the ribbon belt. Patchwork pants + tattoos = tres cool.

Anonymous said...

Good look all the way around!

Andrew M. said...

definitely worth the price, IMO. Sometimes paying full price is the only option.

The Cordial Churchman said...

I have the same trousers (though maybe with a little more green?), handed down from a friend in what is technically my size. But I can't fit my legs into them. Very sad about that.

Anonymous said...

Are you going to Boston for the Brooks and Polo shop?...I have family there and thought that all those stores were on Newbury St. in the Back Bay...

Anonymous said...

I think it's poetic that you broke down and went retail for the most unpractical clothing item. I have a pair of Madras patch shorts, but it takes guts to do patch pants!

Giuseppe said...

Thanks, everyone.

Toad,

is your jacket getting smaller or am I getting bigger?

Anonymous,

They are on Newbury Street. Brooks is on the corner of Newbury and Berkeley, Ralph is a block up near the corner of Clarendon.

Young Fogey said...

Now you just need to wear those pants with a fun shirt and you'll be set!

(sound of tongue being removed from cheek)

FIXED BAYONET METAL SOLDIERS said...

Terrible man How can you go for that?

Jean Martha said...

WAIT! Slam on the damn brakes. Madras w/ tats?

Tell your wife that I'm crushing from afar! LOL

Anonymous said...

this pants are amazing!
great taste

Anonymous said...

All that's left is to lose the tattoos, and you might actually pass for preppy.