14 May 2009

Perils of Thrifting

I know I'm prone to prattle on about the wonders of the charity store, and a wise pauper's ability to drape himself in the clothing of a prince. But second hand shopping is not all peaches and cream. It has it's downfalls.

Just the other day, I discovered this fun Brooks Brothers sport shirt. A real old one, with the six button front and the long tails, like our man Heavy Tweed Jacket has been known to yearn for, all mine for a mere $1.99:
"Won't this look great with khakis, a blazer, no socks and topsiders?" I think to myself, and into the wash it goes. But upon ironing it the next day I discover this unsightly gash:
The poor old thing just couldn't take any more washing. The cotton is too tired to withstand warm water and detergent.

Oh well, at least it'll look sharp as hell for garden work.

in other news: today on the Harvard campus, I saw a kid wearing a t-shirt in crimson and white, with George W. Bush's picture on it, that read simply "Blame Yale". Awesome.



10 comments:

The Queen of Fifty Cents said...

The weeds will assume that the rip was caused by your brawny muscles, and they'll die of terror. Yard work will be so much easier!

EsseQuamVideri said...

Quite sharp for gardening. Classic!

heavy tweed jacket said...

It's a classic shirt. Too bad about the tear. You could always have it turned into a shirt sleeve shirt...

Old School said...

Here's that "Blame Yale" t-shirt:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brokenimagination/475990764/

FIXED BAYONET METAL SOLDIERS said...

The best thing happened a quel camiche orrendo!!!!

Young Fogey said...

But not all visits to the thrift store end in tears (ooh! I didn't even plan that!).

Today's thrift store visit yielded:

1 Brooks Brothers 50/50 wool/silk repp tie (made in England);
2 silk ascots (no label);
and 1 vintage 1950s cotton madras plaid tie & cummerbund set (from Hurlbutt Hingham, Massachusetts).

All for the princely sum of $8 and tax!

I know you wouldn't've gotten the cummerbund set because you have no use for it--and neither do I, at this point--but I couldn't resist.

3button Max said...

or have seamstress/tailor cut to 1/2 sleeve - I had this done w/vintage thrifted Brooks -a pre 1990 shirt

Giuseppe said...

I thought of the half sleeve, but truthfully I haven't worn a half sleeve button up since I was 12, as part of my Catholic school uniform.

Anonymous said...

That can be mended with a zig-zag stitch and worn with a jacket so that it's not seen.

Anonymous said...

Just discovered your blog and found through a previous post of yours that you went to a Jesuit high school and live in Boston - well sir, you have a newfound reader and a fan who went to Jesuit Dallas and currently attends Boston College. Keep up the awesome work!